Notre Dame Community Federal Credit Union was chartered in 1938 as Notre Dame Parish Federal Credit Union. The mission then was to serve the under served community of French Canadians who were hard working blue collar workers and who had no access to a banking institution for their deposit, borrowing, and general financial needs. This mission over the years has been broadened to serve the ever changing faces of our membership. In those early years, growth was slow due to limited hours and limited facilities.
In 1968, The credit union expanded its membership to include wards 5 and 6 of the City of Fall River. This was done under a program called Model City. As the credit union grew, so did the need for a larger facility. In 1971, the credit union moved to new quarters from Pleasant Street to its present location 659 Eastern Avenue. This move resolved the need for a larger facility for a period of time. In 1986, we purchased a residence to expand our building and add a drive in. This expansion was finished in 1989 with the present structure in place.
The credit union for many years used the trade name of Notre Dame Federal Credit Union, however, we expanded our field of membership to include all surrounding towns and adopted the name of Notre Dame Community Federal Credit Union. Our field of membership shall be limited to those having the following common bond: Persons who live, work, worship, or attend school in and businesses or other legal entities located in the city of Fall River or the towns of Somerset, Swansea, Westport, or Freetown/Assonet, Massachusetts, or the town of Tiverton, Rhode Island. The change of name helps to represent who we are. As always we continue to look to the future and ways that will make life easier and financially more enriching for our members.include ("footer.php"); ?>